Tuesday, March 9, 2010

First-Class Farms: Seventh Farm, St Paul, MN

As I go on a college hunt, I have the pleasure of getting acquainted (through the Internet) with many boarding stables and riding academies throughout the country. If I'm considering a particular college or area, one of the first things I do is head to GoogleMaps and run a search for nearby barns. On this hunt of mine, I've discovered many fabulous farms that I would never have come across or even heard about otherwise.


Today, I'd like to feature Seventh Farm in St. Paul, Minnesota.

What truly struck me about Seventh Farm was its dedication to horsemanship rather than simply to riding. Their mission is "to develop effective, independent and knowledgeable riders and horse people." They build from the ground up, with a four-week introduction to riding for beginners that is based on classical traditions. For one two-hour class each week, beginners are given a hands-on lesson in the saddle and on the ground covering everything from walking and trotting to horse psychology. In addition to these lessons, riders can attend social workshops to further their knowledge of horsemanship and form a bond with the horses.

For more advanced riders, there is a similar program that covers dressage and jumping basics, biomechanics for effective riding, stable management courses, and trail rides.

Such an extensive program is, I've learned from my search, rare in riding academies. But Seventh Farm wisely chooses to focus on the horses. "Our school is not just about riding horses," the website reads. "We believe you can not be a good rider if you do not know and understand the whole horse."

True words. And they seem to be effective ones, as well. Their site boasts several testimonials from truly satisfied riders and beautiful pictures of happy horses. And in the eyes of Flying Horses, that's what truly makes a First-Class Farm.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful place with an excellent "horsemanship" program. I also like the fact that they have organized the lessons with a clear focus and goals. You may have a winner there.

    How close is your college decision?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The college I'm looking at in St. Paul is about twenty minutes away. Not bad, considering my old barn was thirty. But I doubt I'll end up in Minnesota. I'm looking at several places: New York, Virginia, South Carolina...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a fantastic place! I'd love to go there...not sure how keen I'd be on Minnesota weather though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Full disclosure: I ride at Seventh Farm, so I'm a big, biased fan. It IS fantastic. Even in the winter; we ride in a heated, indoor arena. My first winter riding there, I worried about driving there, but it's close to a major (well-plowed/salted) highway, and the smaller access roads are also well-maintained.

    ReplyDelete