Sunday, January 24, 2010

They're a bit like human martingales...

Lately, I can't seem to stop window shopping online. Sites like Kaboodle and Etsy make it too easy to waste the day browsing through pages of things that I don't need and would never use and are most likely overpriced. But that doesn't stop me from looking. Etsy has a ton of handmade and/or vintage equestrian-themed items for sale, and if you're looking for some unique presents for your stable managers or trainers or any horse-lover, I'd recommend the website. In the past five minutes alone, I've stumbled across three very different horse necklaces, all of which I like. Check them out: (Click on the picture to jump to the necklace's page on Etsy.)



I love this simple, silver horsehead necklace. It looks slightly abstract to me (in a good way) and, when you read the dimensions (1 1/4 inch length, 1 inch width), you'll notice that the pendant is small. I personally prefer smaller necklaces if the pendant is horse-related, because I feel like I can wear it without getting too many eye rolls from my friends. The necklace comes in a few variations, such as this lovely pendant, in which two horse heads form a heart. There are also earrings available, if you're not a necklace person.



This style of necklace seems to popular with my friends right now, and while I don't really agree with the trend, there is something to be said for this pendant. Maybe it's the juxtaposition between the circle and the horseshoe that makes it unique. I don't really know, but it is pretty cute.



Isn't this precious? It's vintage copper embossed with a horseshoe- very old-fashioned. I love lockets, so this definitely struck a chord. I really like the heart shape and the flower embellishment at the bottom. Just another example of some of the wonderful things you can unearth on Etsy.

So, what about you? Does anyone have any favorite equestrian jewelers or a favorite piece of jewelry they'd like to share? At my barn, almost everyone has some form of horseshoe necklace; it's tradition to wear it whenever we ride, and we certainly never enter the show ring unless its somewhere on our person! There's just something about equestrian necklaces that we riders love; I think we just like keeping our horses close to our heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment