Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Love-Chase

Today, I only give you a short post- only a poem, written years ago. It's a beautiful poem; very few people can accurately describe the wonder of flying with horses, but this man knows. He's got it right.


What delight
To back the flying steed, that challenges
The wind for speed! - seems native more of air
Than earth! - whose burden only lends him fire! -
Whose soul, in his task, turns labour into sport;
Who makes your pastime his! I sit him now!
He takes away my breath! He makes me reel!
I touch not earth - I see not - hear not. All
Is ecstasy of motion!

-James Sheridan Knowles, The Love-Chase

2 comments:

  1. Caught your comment on my blog, so I thought I'd drop by. We seem to be kindred spirits here with the love of art, poetry and horses.

    I haven't read this poem before. You're right, it does capture the essence of "horse."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! I actually just found this poem today, and I knew I had to put it up. It's one of the better verses of horse poetry I've come across on the internet.

    ReplyDelete