Sunday, January 24, 2010

To those who've dreamt of flying horses:

It's days like these when I find it easy to write. The house is quiet, the weather is beautiful, I've just finished February's issue of Practical Horseman, and I don't have a hope of getting to the barn for at least another three days. It's an atmosphere that's very conducive to blogs like this, because I'm sitting here thinking about all the riders like myself, stranded at home, who need a place on the internet where they can just be "horse people".

Maybe you've been riding for twenty years. Or twenty days. Or maybe you only own an arthritic ex-racehorse who spends his days hobbling around the pasture and so you're not riding at all. That doesn't matter. We are all horse people. And sometimes, we just need to be around people who "get it".

That's my mission with Flying Horses: to connect you with the equestrian world. Through feel-good stories and news bits; through fashion, and videos, and book reviews. Through any means available. But obviously, this is my first post. I'm not quite there yet.

So I thought I'd share some links for you to check out, while you wait for Flying Horses to come to life:

http://www.fuglyblog.com/
Fugly Horse of the Day describes itself as "snarky commentary on the breeding of poor quality horses, silly or abusive training techniques, and pretty much anything else..." They're not lying. It's a pretty addictive blog, and an eye-opener to some of the awful abuse/neglect/just plain bad riding that goes on in the world. Fugly never fails to amuse, disgust, and enlighten- all in one post.

http://equestrianlife.com/
This site makes me smile, because it's like a mini facebook for riders. There are status updates and groups you can join. But it's also a good source of information. You can browse sale ads, local farms, and upcoming events in your area. There are also some instructional articles and videos for you. It's a good website, and it would be even better if it gained a little more popularity; I hope it starts to catch on.

http://equestriantimes.com/index1.shtml
The Equestrian Times is an online news network that covers virtually every big news event in the English riding world. While you have to pay a fee to have full access to the articles, you can always browse the headlines for a quick brush-up on what's happening in the equestrian world.

http://www.thebrowncow.com/
I've always loved horsehair bracelets, but due to the fact that it takes so much work to get the hair, wash it, and braid it, those kind of bracelets are usually pretty expensive. Brown Cow's horsehair bracelets are extremely cheap, and (in my opinion) really cute. They'd make a good Valentine's day present, or just a nice treat for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment