Sunday, March 7, 2010

An Arm to Lean On: A Horse Story

A true story by Duaa Anwar of Cairo, Egypt

Some people say that horses kept on full livery never form strong ties with their owners. As an owner of a horse on full livery, I am writing this story in defense of all of us busy people who strive to provide the best accommodation for their horses.

I have always viewed and treated my horse as an individual. Always considered his point of view, always allowed him to express his feelings. After all, my horse is my friend, and on occasions, my psychiatrist.

On one particularly gloomy day, I felt I have lost all purpose for existence. The despair somehow left me longing to see my horse, who in time of crisis, is the last candle of hope. Unconsciously, I found myself driving to the stables.

Arriving in the early hours of the afternoon proved to be a good time for some privacy. The stables were deserted, except for the horses of course. Grooms were napping and the office was closed. No riders where there at that hour. I headed directly to my horse's stall, where I expected him to be hiding in the corner, ears drooping, half asleep.

I stood at the door and he came to me eagerly. The sheer joy in his eyes when he saw me had instantly put the world back into focus. Leaning against the stable door, I stroked and patted him. He was calm and content - perhaps too calm - because he rested his head on my arm. The entire weight of his head rested on my upper arm which was atop the stable door. Although his head was solid and painfully heavy, it lifted the weight off my heart. His muzzle was over my shoulder, snugly against my back.

I talked to him of my troubles. His ear never turned away from me... always listening. The words made no sense to him, but he was listening to my voice. He was still and quiet, as if to reassure me that he is indeed listening. The weight of his head was cutting off the circulation to my forearm, but I held him for as long as I could. When I shifted my arm slightly, he lifted his head for a moment, before bringing it down again over my shoulder.

Agony seeped out of my body as easily as rain washes the leaves of a tree. Grief was history. He did not retreat until I decided I had to leave. He was there for me, quietly listening, and, in a way, holding me. It takes a lot of heart from a person to listen to someone else's trouble, so you can imagine how deep the soul of horses are. Such gentle creatures horses can be.

3 comments:

  1. Do not, ever, underestimate a horse's ability to understand what you are saying.

    I totally agree how deep their souls are, and their hearts are incredibly open to us. I have never known a creature (or person) more capable of healing us than a horse. It is an amazing power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Relient K ProjectMarch 8, 2010 at 4:10 PM

    Aww, horses are really the best therapy. I could have had the worst day ever, but as soon as I get to the barn and see my baby, everything just feels better. They're such amazing creatures

    ReplyDelete