Thursday, April 1, 2010

First-Class Farms: Sunrise Stables, Lexington, VA

(Yes, I am procrastinating on my West Coast Friendship story. Sorry!)

So, last month, as you may remember, I covered a First-Class Farm in St. Paul, Minnesota. Seventh Farm, however, is only one of the many first class farms I've discovered during my college search, and I'd like to devote today to another First-Class Farm: Sunrise Stables, in Lexington, Virginia.


I've heard great things about Sunrise, through simple word of mouth, and when I started looking at colleges in Virginia, I naturally headed to their website. The first thing I noticed was their About Us page, which immediately screams "Family!" (Y'all know how big I am on the whole "family atmosphere" thing.) But beyond the people, I really love the place.

Two hundred and fifty acres of rolling green woods and winding river... What's there not to love? Sunrise Stables apparently grows their own hay organically, and their turnout paddocks are gorgeous. Add to the natural beauty state of the art eventing facilities, and you've practically got Equestria (or, for those of you who haven't read The Circular Path, horse heaven).

Their 15 acre-large cross-country course was designed by an Olympic judge for Green through Preliminary eventing riders. They also have regular trails for conditioning horses and trail rides and a pretty large outdoor riding ring. Their riding program is complete with lessons from and clinics with professionals like Jim Wofford, Sharon White, Brian Ross, Lynn Symansky and Molly Hooper-Bull.

Sunrise Stables is also a pretty awesome retirement home. They apparently have a soft spot for elderly horses. To quote the website: "Sunrise Stables provides very special care for retired horses. They have worked hard for you for years and deserve only the best in care the final years of their lives. They receive the best feeds and hay. They are dewormed and shod or trimmed regularly. The kids here love to spend time with them and groom them on a regular basis."

A beautiful place with a huge reputation and a seemingly great atmosphere for riders and horses alike, Sunrise Stables is certainly a first-class farm.

2 comments: