Thursday, May 13, 2010

Frustration

My psychology class tells me that frustration is when a person is blocked from achieving their goal. So I think then that it would be psychologically correct to call my day frustrating. In fact, we might be able to apply the term to the past week, or even to the past three weeks during which I have not been able to ride.

I haven't seen, touched, heard, smelled a horse in three weeks, much less ridden one. School has been keeping me so busy that I've had no time to ride, and today I thought I'd finally (finally, finally!) make it to the barn.

Well, a friend of mine and I have it arranged that every time she goes riding, she drives me over to Magnolia, too. And today would normally be a day that she would go. So I assumed that she could bring me with her and headed off on my merry way.

Except that, after hours of searching for her in-between classes, I was told that she was home sick.

Now, my first response to that was not, 'Oh, poor thing...' (I'm not that kind of person in general, and I'm definitely not that kind of person when you're the reason I can't go riding.) I get a little cranky when I haven't been to the barn in a while, and today, because I thought that I was going and then found out that I wasn't, I was especially irritated. I growled, "She'd BETTER be really sick, because if she's at home in bed with a 98.9 degree "fever" and she didn't tell me that she couldn't take me to the barn, somebody is going to get hurt."

Mmhmm. That is me when I don't get my dose of equine.

Lucky for the poor girl, I did calm down enough to realize that I wasn't actually angry with her--I was just grumpy because I wasn't riding. Because, in honest, she told me later that she "was feeling a little weak" and didn't know how to break it to me that she wasn't riding. Had I been anywhere near as irritated with her as I was originally, I'd probably have had a manic episode and we'd both have ended up in the hospital.

Seriously?! All it takes is a text message. "I don't feel well. I'm not riding." Seven words! One text, and I would have gotten another ride and then I wouldn't be dying from horse-starvation. But she was "a little weak" and "just didn't know how to break it to me."

I pray to God that I get out to Magnolia tomorrow, because I am going a little crazy here. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment