Thursday, February 25, 2010

Horse Show Strategies: Lull them into complacency, then strike.

I've had a video that I've been wanting to share on this blog for quite some time. I came across it a couple of years ago, when my trainer showed it to us in the office at our barn. I can't remember quite why she thought we, as hunter/jumpers, needed to watch it, but I think the story goes as follows:

Two years ago, I was riding with a trainer named Maura who had her background in equitation and hunters. Our barn is primarily a lesson barn, with a big gap in the clientele: there are a handful of very advanced students, and then a whole slew of beginners. The experienced riders spent a week or so over the summer in an advanced training camp, where Maura could experiment with us. We spent a day on each discipline, covering everything from English pleasure to jumping, and, finally, dressage. We had some serious jumpers in the camp who were then training with a Grand Prix show jumper; they were full Jumper Mode, and the most alien thing in the world to them at that moment was dressage. And so, they did what teenage girls are known to do sometimes: whine. And complain. A lot.

Determined to demonstrate the beauty and sport behind dressage, Maura dragged us all in to the office and pulled up a video. It was, to say the least, breathtaking. It was a video that has ever since left me in awe of the sport, and certainly inspired our jumpers to put their hearts into our dressage lessons that day.

Today, when I went to find that video to share with all of you, and I found, in addition, a video that complements the first. I find the footage together shows a great, simple technique for horse showing on any discipline. I'll keep you in suspense no longer: the videos are of Andreas Helgstrand and Blue Hors Matine, from the World Equestrian Games 2006.

The Warm-Up



The Real Thing



The difference between these two videos astounds me, and it proves (for those of us who still don't believe it) that a good warm-up is the key to a great performance. But it also shows exactly what a good warm-up is, and displays, in the process, a great new strategy for horse show success: lull them into complacency, then strike.

Helgstrand's warm-up is focused and simple (mind you that what is simple for a Grand Prix horse and rider is not simple for the rest of us). He guides Matine through the basic movements of her test and does not attempt any flashy, in-your-face things to throw off his competitors. Rather, he gives them a false sense of security; his warm-up looks good, but it only very subtly hints at the fabulous performance that is to come. Andreas saves the energy and the emotion and the drama for the show ring, blowing everyone away in a performance bigger than anyone could have guessed.

As horse show season approaches remember this technique. Have a good warm-up, but play it close to the vest. Keep calm and hold your cards--don't play them until the exact right moment. Then, throw your heart into it and give a performance that you and your horse can be proud of.

3 comments:

  1. Ideally, in the warmup ring, there should be no need to school. It should be just time to warm up the horse's body and mind. I love the idea of relaxation and just forward.

    However, my warm ups are often..."Hey, wouldn't it be nice if we finally settled down at least a little?" *G* I own silly boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there, done that! I think my horse forgets how to trot on show days!

    ReplyDelete