Saturday, February 20, 2010

That's One Big Sorority House!

It's been a very long day for me. I'm going on four hours of sleep, and I've spent the day traveling, placating children, and dealing with relatives. But even on a day like today, the horse world is inescapable.

I treated myself to a spur-of-the-moment shopping spree after the Day That Would Never End, and as I walked the outlets, I passed a woman carrying at least six shopping bags. But more than the loot, I noticed her outfit: breeches, Ovation Zocks, and paddock boots. I laughed, because I could picture how her afternoon had went: squeezing in some relaxing time at the barn before putting her horse away and rushing off to hit up the sales rack. She hadn't even had time to change, only to slip off her half-chaps and stow them in her car.

I see women in breeches, and though I've never met them before, I know who they are. And I smile, like there's some inside joke between us, because although we will never speak, there is a bond that connects us. A common thread that makes us the same.

When I see a woman shopping in breeches, I see a sorority sister.

"These are the years, these are the girls, and this is the Sorority."

4 comments:

  1. Yep, that's us!*lol*

    Used to stop all the time at the supermarket on the way home from the barn. My favorite was when I would buy a big bag or two of carrots and someone would say, "Are you making carrot juice?"

    Guess they thought the breeches and boots were just a fashion statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I remember reading an article on... Vogue.com, maybe? about how jodhpurs were the new big thing in Europe. Maybe they thought you were ahead of the curve.

    Although, some people are just ignorant of what horses eat. My friend once asked, "You let your horse eat grass?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do yous like bondage

    ReplyDelete